Welcome to Political Science Advising!
Due to the current limits on on-campus operations due to COVID 19, all department advising appointments will be completed remotely via Zoom video call or email. Our advisors look forward to assisting you remotely!
Attention new fall 2021 students!: Advisors will reach out to you via email this summer and assist you in signing up for fall classes in June and July during New Student Orientation (NSO)! Please register for orientation and find other important to dos to complete here!
Current/Returning Political Science Students
An advisor is glad to assist you this summer!
Please email or book a Zoom advising appointment in Navigate with Senior Advisor Shawn Samuels (students with last names beginning with the letters A-L) or Senior Advisor Amy Grieger (students with last names beginning with the letters M-Z) for course registration, major/minor requirement review, advisor signature for relevant forms, moving major courses showing incorrectly on ARR, graduation clearance and removal of advising holds.
Please email or book a Zoom advising appointment in Navigate with Director of Advising Leah Dodson if you are on academic probation, suspension or dismissal, are returning from suspension/dismissal, have serious extenuating circumstances affecting your academics, need study abroad/ domestic exchange pre-approvals or pre-approval of transfer classes, or if you need help finalizing a credited internship.
To book a Zoom appointment with Shawn or Amy: To book your General Advising appointment in Navigate with Shawn (students with last names beginning with letters A-L) or Amy (students with last names beginning with letters M-Z) , you'll follow this path. Make an appointment > Advising > General Advising (30 min). Next, you'll be able enter either Shawn or Amy's name.
To book a Zoom appointment with Leah in Navigate, you'll follow this path: Make an appointment > Advising > then choose Extenuating Circumstances, Internship (Final Details), Study Abroad/Domestic Exchange or Transfer Courses based on what you'd like to discuss.
- Poli Sci Weekly Update: Our weekly student newsletter is on hiatus for summer, but we'll email you this summer with any important news or announcements, and the newsletter will resume in the fall!
Exploring or Declaring a Political Science Major or Minor
There are no minimum required pre-requisites or cumulative GPA for the Political Science major, and we'll be glad to assist you in declaring or gathering information on our major or minor.
We invite you to view an informational Power Point presentation on our Political Science major and minor here.
To declare a major or minor this summer, please email Senior Advisor Shawn Samuels if your last name begins with the letters A - L.
To declare a major or minor this summer, please email Senior Advisor Amy Grieger if your last name begins with the letters M - Z.
Prospective students not yet matriculated at UMass
Please email Director of Advising Leah Dodson if you're a high school student with questions, or a prospective transfer student to UMass Political Science.
Other Important Advising Contacts
- For details on the International Relations Certificate, please contact IR Certificate Advisor Professor MJ Peterson
- For questions on Departmental Honors requirements in Political Science, please contact Professor Paul Musgrave (Honors questions only – for all other advising matters, see our professional staff advisors or peer advisors)
- For advising on the Political Science Accelerated Master’s Degree (4+1) , please use Navigate to schedule a Poli Sci Accelerated Master's advising appointment with 4+1 Advisor Emily White, or click here to contact her by email. To book your appointment in Navigate, click on Make an appointment > Advising > Political Science or Legal Studies Major Advising > PoliSci Accelerated Master's
- For Pre-Law advising information, please visit the Pre-Law Advising Office website here. To make an appointment with or contact Pre-Law Advisor Diane Curtis, please click here.
- For advising on Credit Overload petitions, Late Course Withdrawals, Academic Discipline, Satisfactory Academic Progress appeals for Financial Aid, and SBS Global Ed exceptions, make an appointment with an SBS Advisor in the SBS Pathways Center and Academic Dean's Office, or email the Pathways Center here.
- To make an appointment with an SBS Career Advisor about your resume, job search, SBS internship programs and more, please click here.
- To speak to a Commonwealth Honors College advisor, please visit their advising website here.
- For International Student advising or for questions on your visa or resources and events for international students, please visit the International Programs Office website here.
- For Study Abroad advising and information, please visit the UMass International Programs Office Education Abroad website.
Important Web Links
- UMass Amherst Reopening website
- Special FALL 2020 Pass/Fail Course Policy
- Special SPRING 2020 Pass/Fail Course Policy
- UMass Credited Internship Process
- SBS Academic Forms (Credit Overload, Global Ed Declaration, Late Course Add, Late Course Withdrawal, Late Course Pass/Fail)
- SBS Need to Know Resources Exploring a Minor/Certificate, Where to start with internships & career, Tutoring, Talking to a Dean about academic struggles, Grad School, Research, Connecting with Alums & More
- Student Success Academic Planner Download