Welcome to Legal Studies Advising!
Due to the limits on on-campus operations for the fall 2020 semester due to COVID 19, all department advising appointments and drop in advising for fall will be completed remotely via Zoom video call, phone or email. Our professional advisors and peer advisors look forward to assisting you remotely! Watch this webpage for updates on peer advising Zoom drop in hours for fall and for a link to our new undergrad advising blog.
Current Legal Studies Students
We have a number of ways to assist you remotely this fall!
Google Form: Please use our Advising Questions Google Form if you have a quick question or two, or if you can't book an advising appointment at a time that's good for you. An advisor will follow up with you promptly on your Google Form submission, and schedule an appointment with you if needed.
Make an Appointment: Use UMass Amherst Navigate to schedule an appointment with a professional Legal Studies advisor if you have a few questions, or want an overall review of your graduation requirements. To book your General Advising appointment in Navigate, you'll follow this path: Make an appointment > Advising > Political Science or Legal Studies Major Advising > General Advising (30 min). Next you'll choose "Political Science and Legal Studies" as the "location" you prefer. Then you'll be able enter the name of a professional advisor you prefer if you have a preference, or you can just click next to see all available appointments with any professional staff advisor.
- Please see Senior Advisor Shawn Samuels or Senior Advisor Amy Grieger for course registration, major/minor requirement review, advisor signature for relevant forms, moving major courses showing incorrectly on ARR, graduation clearance and removal of advising holds.
- Please see Director of Advising Leah Dodson if you are returning from suspension/dismissal, have complex academic matters to discuss, need study abroad/ domestic exchange pre-approvals or pre-approval of transfer classes, or if you need help finalizing a credited internship (you may also see Leah for General Advising appointments when she's available for General Advising in Navigate).
Peer Advising: Weekly Peer Advising Drop In Hours on Zoom for fall 2020 begin Monday, August 31st. You can drop in via Zoom and ask advising questions of experienced peers from our department on things like declaring a Legal Studies major, course registration, Legal Studies major course requirements questions, locating career resources or starting the credited internship process. You must be logged in to Zoom with your UMass Net ID and password to attend a peer drop in session. When attending a drop in session, you'll enter the Zoom Waiting Room, and be admitted to the advising session when a Peer Advisor is available to assist you. Day and times of weekly drop in sessions, along with the relevant Zoom link are listed below:
Advising Blog: We're developing a new Political Science & Legal Studies Undergrad Advising Blog just for you! Our blog will contain helpful info on things like how to find your ARR, how to figure out when you can enroll in classes for the next semester and how to change a class to a pass/fail. It will also contain announcements on events, resources and internship and research opportunities from within the department and beyond. The link to our blog will be posted here shortly as soon as it's published!
- Legal Studies Weekly Update: This fall, we'll be emailing you, as we have frequently in the past, with a weekly update from Legal Studies Advising, so watch your UMass email account! The update will contain events and opportunities we've learned of that you may be interested in, reminders on important campus deadlines, department announcements on things like courses, and helpful campus resources for you to explore.
Exploring or Declaring a Legal Studies Major
There are no minimum required pre-requisites or cumulative GPA for the Legal Studies major, and we'll be glad to assist you in declaring or gathering information.
Please drop in during our weekly Peer Advisor Zoom Drop In hours to begin exploring or to declare a Legal Studies major. You must be logged in to Zoom with your UMass Net ID and password to attend a peer drop in session. When attending a drop in session, you'll enter the Zoom Waiting Room, and be admitted to the advising session when a Peer Advisor is available to assist you. Day and times of weekly drop in sessions, along with the relevant Zoom link are listed below:
- Mondays 11am to 1pm
- Tuesdays 11am to 1pm
- Thursdays 2:30pm to 4:30pm
If you can't attend any of our Zoom drop in advising times, please use our Advising Questions Google Form to explore or declare the Legal Studies Major. An advisor will follow up with you promptly on your Google Form submission, and schedule an appointment with you as needed.
Prospective students not yet matriculated at UMass
Please email Director of Advising Leah Dodson if you're a high school student with questions, or a prospective transfer student to UMass Legal Studies.
Other Important Advising Contacts
- For details on the International Relations Certificate, please contact IR Certificate Advisor Professor MJ Peterson
- For questions on Departmental Honors requirements in Legal Studies, please contact Professor Leah Wing (Honors questions only – for all other advising matters, see our professional staff advisors or peer advisors)
- For Legal Studies Internship questions, please contact Legal Studies Internship Coordinator Professor Alan Gaitenby. You can also find relevant information on our Legal Studies Internship webpage here.
- For Pre-Law advising information, please visit the Pre-Law Advising Office website here. To make an appointment with or contact Pre-Law Advisor Diane Curtis, please click here.
- For advising on Credit Overload petitions, Late Course Withdrawals, Academic Discipline, Satisfactory Academic Progress appeals for Financial Aid, and SBS Global Ed exceptions, make an appointment with an SBS Advisor in the SBS Pathways Center and Academic Dean's Office, or email the Pathways Center here.
- To make an appointment with an SBS Career Advisor about your resume, job search, SBS internship programs and more, please click here.
- To speak to a Commonwealth Honors College advisor, please visit their advising website here.
- For International Student advising or for questions on your visa or resources and events for international students, please visit the International Programs Office website here.
- For Study Abroad advising and information, please visit the UMass International Programs Office Education Abroad website.
Important Web Links
- UMass Amherst Reopening website
- Special FALL 2020 Pass/Fail Course Policy
- Special SPRING 2020 Pass/Fail Course Policy
- UMass Credited Internship Process
- SBS Academic Forms (Credit Overload, Global Ed Declaration, Late Course Add, Late Course Withdrawal, Late Course Pass/Fail)
- SBS Need to Know Resources Exploring a Minor/Certificate, Where to start with internships & career, Tutoring, Talking to a Dean about academic struggles, Grad School, Research, Connecting with Alums & More
- Student Success Academic Planner Download