Job Summary: The incumbent provides financial and related administrative management for the Department of Political Science.
- Oversee and report on financial status of the department. Manage department operating funds, prepare budgetary accounts and analyze expenses. Assist with the set-up of multi year faculty startup commitments. Manage department inventory.
- Manage department financial activities and provide fiscal support for actions including purchasing, travel, business expenses, Procard, etc. Supervise department bookkeeping activities to assure compliance with University, state and federal policies and procedures. Manage expense/reimbursement process; assure that department financial support staff have training and resources necessary for success. Regularly communicate budgetary updates to department constituents.
- Oversee the management of research awards to assure compliance with University and federal policy. Advise faculty on status of research and other awards and monitor expenditures. Manage grant expenditures to assure compliance with budgets and advise PI's of grant budget status. Identify and correct budget anomalies. Serve as liaison for faculty awards with the college and university offices. Manage disbursements of scholarships and undergraduate awards.
- Manage revenue accounts, including budget preparation and requests for new accounts. Project revenues and expenses and advise faculty on changes to fee schedules. Work with SBS Assistant Dean for Finance and Planning to submit budgets and make changes. Compile monthly and year-end reports. Improve and maintain a budget-tracking tool for budget planning and expense tracking.
- Serve as a financial liaison with campus offices and vendors on and off campus, in financial matters. Prepare information for financial audits as required. Develop collaborative working relationships with the Dean's office, Controller's office and OGCA. Attend university/college required financial trainings.
Other Functions: Perform other duties as assigned by Department Chair and/or Director of Administration and Research.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- 3 years of experience in accounting or financial management.
- Excellent ability to work both independently and to be part of an effective team with a highly cooperative and collaborative work style. Ability to adapt and work effectively as the situation changes with independence, competent judgment and discretion.
- Excellent knowledge of statistical analysis and report creation that adds value to data informed decision-making. Must be able to understand the current practices and strategic goals of the department and use that knowledge to inform data gathering and the development of reports.
- Extensive knowledge of best financial practices. Expert computer usage skills including spreadsheets (including formulas, graphs and charts), word processing, and databases. Ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with the ability to interact effectively, and create and maintain harmonious relationships with a diverse population of staff, faculty, students and off-campus constituents.
- Flexibility to work with initiative and willingness to take on a variety of tasks related to the successful operation and administration of the unit.
- Extensive organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to complete assignments in a timely manner, balancing the demands of concurrent and potentially competing projects.
- Ability to investigate a situation, seek out additional information and resolve discrepancies. Ability to think through problems, organize information, identify key factors and underlying causes to generate solutions.
- Must be able to understand, apply and explain rules, regulations and policies/procedures related to duties.
Preferred Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree (in Accounting or a closely related field of study) is preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions: Typical office environment activity.
Work Schedule: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm (37.5 hours per week)
Salary Information: Grade 15
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please include with your application a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references.