Welcome to Political Science Advising!
Due to the current limits on on-campus operations due to COVID 19, all department advising appointments and drop in advising will be completed remotely via Zoom video call, phone or email. Our professional advisors and peer advisors look forward to assisting you remotely!
Current Political Science Students
We have a number of ways to assist you remotely!
Peer Advising: Peer Advising for course registration assistance, major or minor declaration/exploration and many other basic advising questions/referrals is available during fall and spring semesters. If you're a Political Science major interested in becoming a department Peer Advisor, email Director of Advising, Leah Dodson.
Weekly Peer Advising Drop In Hours on Zoom for spring 2021 begin Monday, February 1st. You must be logged in to Zoom with your UMass Net ID and password to attend a peer drop in session. When attending a drop in session, you'll enter the Zoom Waiting Room, and be admitted to the advising session when a Peer Advisor is available to assist you. Days and times of weekly drop in sessions for spring 2021, along with the related Zoom links are listed below.
There will be NO drop in peer advising sessions held on: Wednesday Feb 24th and Wednesday April 14th.
There will be NO drop in peer advising session slots held for these day/time slots: The Wednesday Feb 17th 11am-1pm session is canceled. The Monday Feb 22nd 10am-12pm session is canceled.
The last day of Peer drop in advising for the spring semester will be Thursday, May 6th, 2021.
- Mondays, 10 am to 12 noon
- Mondays, 12 noon to 2pm
- Wednesdays, 9 am to 11 am
- Wednesdays, 11 am to 1 pm
- Thursdays, 9 am to 11 am
- Thursdays, 1 pm to 3 pm
Make an Appointment with an Advisor: Use UMass Amherst Navigate to schedule an appointment with a professional Political Science advisor if you have a few questions, want an overall review of your graduation requirements, or have complex matters to discuss.
To book your General Advising appointment in Navigate, you'll follow this path: Make an appointment > Advising > Political Science or Legal Studies Major Advising > General Advising (30 min). You'll be able enter the name of a professional advisor you prefer if you have a preference, or you can just click next to see all available appointments with any professional staff advisor.
Please see Senior Advisor Shawn Samuels or Senior Advisor Amy Grieger for course registration, major/minor requirement review, advisor signature for relevant forms, moving major courses showing incorrectly on ARR, graduation clearance and removal of advising holds.
Please see Director of Advising Leah Dodson if you are on academic probation, suspension or dismissal, are returning from suspension/dismissal, have serious extenuating circumstances affecting your academics, need study abroad/ domestic exchange pre-approvals or pre-approval of transfer classes, or if you need help finalizing a credited internship.
To book your appointment with Leah in Navigate, you'll follow this path: Make an appointment > Advising > Political Science or Legal Studies Major Advising > then choose Extenuating Circumstances, Internship (Final Details), Study Abroad/Domestic Exchange or Transfer Courses based on what you'd like to discuss.
- Please see Senior Advisor Shawn Samuels or Senior Advisor Amy Grieger for course registration, major/minor requirement review, advisor signature for relevant forms, moving major courses showing incorrectly on ARR, graduation clearance and removal of advising holds.
Google Form: Please use our Advising Questions Google Form if you have a quick question. An advisor will follow up with you on your Google Form submission as soon as possible, and schedule an appointment with you if needed.
- Poli Sci Weekly Update: We email you each week with a weekly update from Political Science Advising, so watch your UMass email account! The update will contain important academic information and deadlines, events and activities for students, career information and internship opportunities, department announcements on courses and the like, and helpful campus resources. Please create a folder for the Poli Sci Weekly Update in your email account and take a few short minutes to review it each week.
Exploring or Declaring a Political Science Major or Minor
There are no minimum required pre-requisites or cumulative GPA for the Political Science major, and we'll be glad to assist you in declaring or gathering information on our major or minor.
We invite you to view an informational Power Point presentation on our Political Science major and minor here.
To declare a major or minor, please attend a Peer Advisor Zoom drop in session listed above. Once new majors are officially declared, you'll be able to book a General Advising appointment with a professional staff advisor in Navigate (see instructions above).
Political Science minors with advising questions should attend a Peer Advisor drop in session or use our Advising Questions Google Form.
Prospective students not yet matriculated at UMass
Please email Director of Advising Leah Dodson if you're a high school student with questions, or a prospective transfer student to UMass Political Science.
Other Important Advising Contacts
- For details on the International Relations Certificate, please contact IR Certificate Advisor Professor MJ Peterson
- For questions on Departmental Honors requirements in Political Science, please contact Professor Paul Musgrave (Honors questions only – for all other advising matters, see our professional staff advisors or peer advisors)
- For advising on the Political Science Accelerated Master’s Degree (4+1) , please use Navigate to schedule a Poli Sci Accelerated Master's advising appointment with 4+1 Advisor Emily White, or click here to contact her by email. To book your appointment in Navigate, click on Make an appointment > Advising > Political Science or Legal Studies Major Advising > PoliSci Accelerated Master's
- For Pre-Law advising information, please visit the Pre-Law Advising Office website here. To make an appointment with or contact Pre-Law Advisor Diane Curtis, please click here.
- For advising on Credit Overload petitions, Late Course Withdrawals, Academic Discipline, Satisfactory Academic Progress appeals for Financial Aid, and SBS Global Ed exceptions, make an appointment with an SBS Advisor in the SBS Pathways Center and Academic Dean's Office, or email the Pathways Center here.
- To make an appointment with an SBS Career Advisor about your resume, job search, SBS internship programs and more, please click here.
- To speak to a Commonwealth Honors College advisor, please visit their advising website here.
- For International Student advising or for questions on your visa or resources and events for international students, please visit the International Programs Office website here.
- For Study Abroad advising and information, please visit the UMass International Programs Office Education Abroad website.
Important Web Links
- UMass Amherst Reopening website
- Special FALL 2020 Pass/Fail Course Policy
- Special SPRING 2020 Pass/Fail Course Policy
- UMass Credited Internship Process
- SBS Academic Forms (Credit Overload, Global Ed Declaration, Late Course Add, Late Course Withdrawal, Late Course Pass/Fail)
- SBS Need to Know Resources Exploring a Minor/Certificate, Where to start with internships & career, Tutoring, Talking to a Dean about academic struggles, Grad School, Research, Connecting with Alums & More
- Student Success Academic Planner Download