Welcome to Political Science Advising!
Due to the limit of on campus operations and move to remote learning due to COVID 19, all advising appointments and drop in advising will be completed remotely via Zoom video call, phone or email. Our professional and peer advisors look forward to assisting you! Watch this webpage for updates on peer advising Zoom drop in hours for fall and for a link to our new undergrad advising blog.
New Political Science Students for Fall 2020
Welcome to UMass! If you're still in need of assistance enrolling in fall 2020 classes, please do the following:
- If you haven't already, please register for and complete Online New Student Orientation. You'll complete important online activities like using Spire to add classes and you'll receive information on items like UMass Placement Tests and more. You can register here.
- Put some classes of interest to you for fall in your Spire Shopping Cart.
- Email a Political Science Advisor to complete your enrollment in fall courses:
Returning Political Science Students
Welcome back! We have a number of ways to assist you remotely!
Please use our Advising Questions Google Form if you have a quick question or two, or if you can't book an advising appointment at a time that's good for you. An advisor will follow up with you promptly on your Google Form submission, and schedule an appointment with you if needed.
Use Navigate to schedule an appointment with a Political Science advisor. Please select "Advising" as the service.
- Please see Senior Advisor Shawn Samuels or Senior Advisor Amy Grieger for course registration, major/minor requirement review, advisor signature for relevant forms, moving major courses showing incorrectly on ARR, graduation clearance and removal of advising holds.
- Please see Director of Advising Leah Dodson if you need study abroad/ domestic exchange pre-approvals, approval of transfer classes, return from suspension/dismissal, or other complex academic matters.
For fall Peer Advising drop in hours on Zoom, where you can drop in and ask advising questions of experienced peers from our department who can answer a variety of questions for you, watch this webpage for updates on peer drop in times and days!
- For International Relations Certificate advising, please contact Professor MJ Peterson at email@example.com
Exploring or declaring a Political Science Major
Please use our Advising Questions Google Form to explore or declare a Political Science Major or Minor. There are no minimum required pre-requisites or cumulative GPA for the major, and we'll be glad to assist you in declaring or gathering information.
Prospective students not yet matriculated at UMass
Please email Director of Advising Leah Dodson if you're a high school student with questions, or a prospective transfer student to UMass Political Science.
Additional contacts and links
- SPRING 2020 Pass/Fail FAQs
- Departmental Honors Advisors: Political Science Paul Musgrave, Legal Studies Leah Wing (Honors questions only – for all other advising matters, use the links above).
- Accelerated Master’s Degree (4+1) in Political Science: To schedule an appointment with Advisor Emily White, please click here to use Navigate.
- Pre-Law Advising: Diane Curtis.
- Commonwealth Honors College Advisors
- Internship Advisors: Political Science, Legal Studies Alan Gaitenby
- SBS Advising Resource Center (Global Ed requirement, credit overloads, extenuating circumstances)
- Career Advising
- IPO/Study Abroad
- Isenberg Program Information