- DEMOCRACY AND THE POLITICS OF ELECTORAL SYSTEM CHOICE: ENGINEERING ELECTORAL DOMINANCE(CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS, 2013)
* Received the Best Book Award from the European Politics and Society Section of the APSA, 2014.
- “The Politics of History and the History of Economic Development" Journal of Politics (Jan 2015) 77.1
- “Democratization Theory and the Arab Spring" with Giovanni Capoccia , Middle East law and Governance Journal (2014) 6.1: 1-31.
- "The Existential Threat: Varieties of Socialism and the Origins of Electoral Systems in Early Democracies", Studies in Comparative International Development (June 2013) 48.2: 141-171. Download (pdf) (332.29 KB)
- “When Multi-Method Research Subverts Methodological Pluralism: Or Why We Still Need Single Method Research” with Rudra Sil, Perspectives on Politics (December 2012)10.4: 935-953. Download (pdf) (332.29 KB)
- "Revolutionary Blind-Spots: The Politics of Electoral System Choice in the Egyptian Transition" Middle East Law and Governance Journal. 2011. Vol. 3, No. 2.
- “Reading History Forward: The Origins of Electoral Systems in Advanced Democracies” Comparative Political Studies Special Issue on The Historical Turn in Democratization Studies. August/September 2010 43: 1059-1088.
- "Rethinking Backsliding: Insights from the Historical Turn in Democratization Studies". Comparative Democratization Newsletter, Fall 2104.
- "Restoring the Voting Rights Act Will Not Do Enough to Ensure Fair Elections" Policy Brief for the Scholars Strategy Network.January 2014
- “When Election Rules Undermine Democracy”, Policy brief for the Scholars Strategy Network, April 2013.
- “Is Multi-Method Research Really Better?” with Rudra Sil, Qualitative and Multi-Method Research Section Newsletter, Fall 2009.
WORKS IN PROGRESS
- "Towards a Processual Understanding of Democratization: Rethinking the Temporalities of Political Change" (Article Manuscript, Under Review)
- “It Didn’t Happen Here? Working Class Mobilization and the Politics of Electoral System Choice in the United States” (Book Manuscript, In Progress).
- “The Concept of Data: Deconstructing Social Science Research”(Article Manuscript, In Progress)
- “Dealing with Over-determined Outcomes: A Strategy for Identifying Actors’ Motivations in Historical Research” (Article Manuscript, In Progress).