About University of Massachusetts Amherst: UMass Amherst is one of the major public research universities in America. Nestled in idyllic Amherst, Massachusetts, the campus is consistently ranked among the top public research universities in the nation, and offers a rich cultural environment in a rural setting close to major urban centers.
Job Description (Grade 13):
The Department of Political Science is seeking to fill a Clerk IV position. The successful candidate will provide a broad range of administrative support services for the Department of Political Science.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide confidential, executive level support to the Department chair including calendar management, travel arrangements and reimbursements, and meeting coordination. Create sophisticated, visualizing appealing presentations, reports or documents.
- Collect data and prepare reports. With guidance from the requester, write and/or draft internal and external reports and correspondence by interpreting, analyzing and summarizing data. Maintain accurate and organized files for data, including supporting documentation and archival records.
- Provide administrative support to the Associate Director of Academic Programs including data collection and needs assessments for curriculum development and enrollment management.
- Provide administrative support to Associate Director of Academic Programs and Director of Administration and Research for Continuing and Professional Education programing including teaching assignments, enrollment management and marketing.
- Create and maintain online master calendar for department activities with prompts, templates and examples including scholarship award information, events, academic planning and reporting deadlines. Update department webpages with current information.
- Participate in the planning and provide coordination for department events and workshops, including department sponsored lectures, graduate student orientation, scholarship award ceremonies and commencement related events.
- Coordinate travel arrangements for conferences and arrivals of visiting faculty and guests.
- As needed, support department course scheduling by inputting course information to the University scheduling system. Work with the Registrar's Office and staff/faculty to troubleshoot and resolve scheduling conflicts or problems.
- Provide support for general office functions including conference room scheduling, scanning, printing, mail sorting and distribution. Assist with department records management.
- Excellent ability to work both independently and to be part of an effective team with a highly cooperative and collaborative work style.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English. Must be able to write concisely and informatively with proper grammar and appropriate business style. Must be able to develop ideas in a logical sequence to write effective reports, letters, emails, or web-based information for internal and external audiences.
- Expert computer usage skills including spreadsheet, word processing, database and presentation software with the ability to quickly learn new software programs needed for position duties.
- Excellent ability to maintain database records, analyze data, and prepare reports and presentations from those records.
- The ability to adapt and work effectively as the situation changes.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with the ability to interact effectively, and create and maintain harmonious relationships with a diverse population of staff, faculty, students and off-campus constituents.
- Must have the ability to stay on task and work productively with a minimum of supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to complete assignments in a timely manner, balancing the demands of concurrent and potentially competing projects.
- The ability to investigate a situation, seek out additional information and resolve discrepancies.
- The ability to think through problems, organize information, identify key factors and underlying causes to generate solutions.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions and create effective and efficient work processes.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and varying situations with independence, competent judgment and discretion.
- Flexibility to work with initiative and willingness to take on a variety of tasks related to the successful administration of the unit.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to follow guidelines, procedures and policies.
- Experience working in a higher education environment preferred.
Minimum Entrance Requirements
Applicants must have at least a High School Diploma and 2 years full-time or equivalent part-time of office work experience and experience with data analysis, report writing and presentation design.
All employees must abide by the University code of conduct and contribute to the creation and preservation of an inclusive and respectful workplace environment:
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non--discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
Only internal USA/MTA employees will be considered during the first 7 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
On-Campus applicants are defined as Amherst Campus non-student employees
The University of Massachusetts is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, the University of Massachusetts is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the University of Massachusetts to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.